Friday, March 04, 2011

Leon Shell Memorial Sailfish Tournament

The Leon Shell Tournament is this weekend here in Marathon.  Some people wonder why I don't sign up for these tournaments.  So while the wind is blowing 30 knots out of the East I will reflect on why I am not a dedicated tournament fisherman.

Getting together with dedicated tournament fishermen is always interesting.  These talented anglers make elaborate plans to improve their odds of success, catching or buying the perfect bait, the newest products and assembling the finest crews.  Often hundreds of thousands of dollars are invested to build just the right combination of boat, bait, gear and crew.  These tournaments are dedicated to the finest of the finest with intricate rules like "captain's discretion".   That means if the captain thinks he can handle the weather, fishing is a go!

After fishing a few days in 12 foot seas with the wind honking for a prize often worth more in bragging rights than cash, I find pondering why I decided to have a prime rib sandwich at the dock while listening to the more adventurous boats describe incredible displays of nature at its angriest, more entertaining than getting my old butt kicked.

So I will probably stop by tournament central, enjoy another prime rib sandwich and listen to all the excitement on the VHF.  Marathon in the Florida Keys should be your next fishing vacation destination. Join us for charter fishing, fishing guide trips or our fishing 101 so you can fish on your own with better success. 

UPDATE:  Since I did not fish the wind is only 20 knots.  The anglers should thank me for not entering. :)

Tight lines,

Capt. Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment