Friday, January 08, 2010

Is The Season Really Starting?

I don't know for sure but The phone has been ringing. Of Course everyone wants to book on the same day so it will be a bit of a challenge. Other than the cold snap expected this weekend the weather seems to be getting closer to normal. For the winter in the Keys that means two crappy days, two nice days and three who knows days a week. So like I always tell people plan your trips down here around the weather. I you want to do the Duval crawl pick a windy day and save the good days for fishing.

I am not the only one getting calls. Several other captains are fishing which is a good thing. I even had to call one to back me up the end of the month because I have two customers in town at the same time. If the weather is good I can get them both in, but weather is weather so I have a backup in case the the weather window is narrow.

Fishing overall has been good except right after a front. With the radical temperature changes it takes a day or so for the fish to acclimate. Then it is game on again. Sailfishing has been spotty, but the mackerel, snapper and other usual suspects are still biting strong. Haven't had any cobia reports but they should be showing. BTW, the captain always gets a quarter share of any cobia on the boat.

As a sign of the economy more folks are bringing down stuff like liquor and food instead of tipping. If the liquor is brown and the food something neat like some bambi, real country sausage or homemade cheese I don't mind. Any of you guys from out west that can bring down some goat (pronghorn for you east coasters) I may even discount the trip. Elk is always welcome as is moose, but it is hard to beat goat.

Marathon in the Florida Keys should be your next fishing vacation destination. Join us for charter fishing, fishing guide trips or our fishing 101 so you can fish on your own with better success.

Tight lines,

Capt. Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment