Friday, March 20, 2015

Some other guides and offshore report

I like my gig in Marathon and would really rather not run too far up or down the Keys if I don't have to.  I had been looking for other guides in the Islamarada area and finally found a "reluctant" guide for your boat kinda stuff.  His handle is relentless39 on the Florida Sportsman Fishing Forum and while he prefers to fish his own boat he will do guide trips on your boat.

I do take trips south of Marathon down to Bahia Honda but try not to go much further south than the Torch Keys.  Pinerwahoo is the handle of another guide down that way that can help you out in that direction.

It isn't that I don't know how to fish those areas as much as I don't stay on top of the changes outside of the Marathon area that much.  Having a more local guide means better local knowledge which is the whole idea of hiring a guide.  For Fishing 101, I am teaching the bare bones basics which which is good for any place in the Keys, but it costs time and money to drive all over the place so, you should get a better deal with a more local guy.

On another note I was forced to make a new batch of Dallas Darts so I have those available in the purple and blank Tuna color and Blue and Silver everything else color.  Some folks like red and black but the quality of the last batch of red and black skirts I bought was so bad I am avoiding them.  Skirt quality btw are the reason I don't make more to keep in stock.  Sometimes the skirts are real heat sensitive so if you leave them in a car with the windows up things can go south.

Offshore for Dolphin is starting to pick up but you probably will have to head way south for a while.  A good weed line was found in 2500 foot of water yesterday which is about 30 miles south of the beach.  Some fish are being caught closer in but they are mainly schoolies.   The fish out deep are mainly heavy lifters and gaffers.  I use my Darts as a hunting tool to find fish then switch to pitch baits or rigged natural baits once I find the bigger fish.  The fish don't understand that so sometimes I get the big ones on the Darts and the small ones on the rigged baits.  Fish love to make a liar out of me, but as long as something is getting hooked up I am fine with it.

Marathon in the Florida Keys should be your next fishing vacation destination. Join us for charter fishing, fishing guide trips or our fishing 101 so you can fish on your own with better success.

 Tight lines,

 Capt. Dallas

1 comment:

  1. Capt'nDallas

    I am assuming that you comment on Judith Curry's blog ClimateEtc as capt'ndallas 0.8C +/-. You may recognize my user name as RiHo08.

    I am seeking your suggestions where my wife and I could rent for December 2015 a beech front house with 3 bedrooms for our blended family who would come one or two more couples at a time with a total of 4 children. The other side of the family (two other families with a total of 3 children) would likely overlap only one day. Each family staying a week to 10 days. We have a dog who would come with us.

    One family member is an avid fisherman who usually enjoys fly-fishing and may never have tried ocean fishing. I would like to hire you and you charter boat for several half-days of fishing over the December time period with a likelihood of several family members at different times learning something new.

    Would you steer me to sites that rent out beech front homes and maybe provide your best guide if at all possible. In addition, when might be the best times to hire your charter-boat?

    Regards,

    Richard Honicky

    517-333-1875 and email: honicky at msu.edu

    ReplyDelete