Sunday, September 27, 2009

General Update


Not many boats fishing this time of years as is normal. The bite though is pretty steady on all fronts with the flats guys doing very well in the warm water and big tides. Daytime sword fishing is pretty good for those that have the gear and the boat to get out past the wall. That's out of range for most rental boats so a charter is the way to go if you want to tangle with a sword.

The real job thing is coming to an end at least at the Navy base so I may just have to take the Flatlines out to charge the batteries and collect a little fish fry while I take her down to Little Torch Key. May even take Mikey to collect a few bugs.

This season I plan to spend more time targeting snook. That is going to involve a lot more live Pilchards than I normally use. So fishing 101 is going to include a more intense cast netting portion than normal. So be ready to learn how to throw a larger cast net. Getting the snook to bite can be a challenge, but the by catch while hunting them can be pretty impressive.

Since snook and tarpon share the same areas I will be getting on more tarpon than I normally do since I rarely tarpon fish. Not that I don't know how to tarpon fish, I just find it boring as hell. With live pilchards instead of mullet there is a lot more action which is a good thing for me. If you want a pure bridge tarpon trip I will turn you on to Jeff Knapp or Jeff Shelar. They do the night trips which are more productive than the early or late trips I do. There are times when the morning bite is pretty hot so I am up for a few tarpon trips if the bite is right.

BTW here is a link to the Bahia Honda Bridge camera if you wonder why I like to fish the bridges here in the Keys. Watch it around slack tide for the best viewing.

I still haven't figured out the camera on my new cell phone so try to email me as many fish pictures as you can.

ETA I added a camera photo just to see how it looks. It's a cloudbow.

Also added a link to still photos at the bridge camera location.

Marathon in the Florida Keys should be your next fishing vacation destination. Join us for charter fishing, fishing guide trips or our fishing 101 so you can fish on your own with better success.

Tight lines,

Capt. Dallas

ETA The link to Florida Sportsman fishing forum is now fixed. They changed the forum and had quite a few bugs to deal with but now it is up and running.

No comments:

Post a Comment