Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Ribbon of Silver

I was at The Tackle Box today talking to Capt. Dave about the Florida Bay happenings. We made some plans to swap a few numbers, my Cobia spots for his Mutton spots. Our talk about the Bay reminded me of a trip I had a few years back. It’s kind of hard to convince people just how good the Mackerel fishing really can be. This might help.

This was a trip in March of 2003. The guys I had on the boat, wanted to learn how to fish the reef and a little offshore. After catching all the tails they wanted, we drifted fish just off the reef in 125 to 150 feet. The drifts produced a few King Mackerel, not big 10 to 15 pounds and we played with some little Tunny. It was nothing all that spectacular just a pretty good day of fishing. After we had burned all chum, I pointed the boat back to the barn.

As I slowed the boat down in front of the marina, one of my crew mentioned that he would like to try for a Spanish mackerel in the bay. Not having anymore chum, only one ballyhoo and about 5 Tunny strips, the prospects weren’t all that exciting, but we had a little more time. We ran 7 miles north just past marker 16. The sun was just perfect in the west, the water gin clear and I spotted a ribbon of silver in the water. After stopping the boat I told the crew to bait and up and pointed to were I wanted them to cast. As soon as the baits hit the water, all four were hooked up on Spanish mackerel. We boated all four, all dead on five pounds, a few minutes later. My crew hadn’t realized until the fish struck what that silver ribbon was, a solid wall of Spanish mackerel. I‘m not good at estimating something like this, but about 25,000 fish is my guess.

Maybe that will give doubters a little better understanding of why the Mackerel fishing can be so good.

Going to sea trial the new boat tomorrow, so until then,

Tight Lines

1 comment:

  1. Well, work has me down and out. And actually video izle away this week as well. Thus video izle the great dearth of writing, for which I video izle apologize. But alas - all should be video izle back to normal next week...at least I hope so. But sağlıklı yaşam until then, I thought I would share some reasons müzik indir why if you aren't a cyclist in Columbia, Missouri, then it truly sucks to be you. All of these photos were taken this past weekend film izle around our lovely little COMO, which makes me erotik video izle love this place all the more. This past weekend lig tv izle was the Bike, Walk and Wheel Week kickoff web tasarım event which had many colorful displays of bicycles. Take the unamused gentlmen who had a small puppet of Betty White riding in his front basket.

    ReplyDelete