Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Back to the Bus - Part II

This is the new rear leaf spring hanger with the existing shackle installed.  I was going to make a new shackle but it takes forever to drill 3/4" holes in 1/4 inch steel.  I did have to weld some more metal on one side of the shackle which is why it looks so lumpy.  This whole project could have been much easier had I lived next to a heavy truck grave yard, but I don't so I welded up a section of frame instead of welding in a section of frame cut off another truck.

In this view you can see more butt ugly but strong welds.  The weakest link in all this should end up being the shackle which is pretty substantial still.  The fit under the bus is nice and tight with about a 1/16 of an inch wiggle room side to side and 3/16 of an inch fore and aft.  I plan on welding it in but if worse comes to worse I have enough over lap to bolt it in place if need be.  Not pretty by any means but it should do the job.

update:

It slid right into place kinda like it was meant to :)  Now I have to replace the broken hydraulic line to the port side leveling jack and get that extended before welding and/or bolting the frame/hanger in place.
The V-20 Project is on hold until this gets off the work bench but that isn't really a problem.  The motor for the V-20 should be getting down here in a coupled of months.  I am bartering out a few trips for the motor and controls so that part of the price is right.

Marathon in the Florida Keys should be your next fishing vacation destination. Join us for charter fishing, fishing guide trips or our fishing 101 so you can fish on your own with better success.

 Tight lines,

 Capt. Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment