Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Just a Half Day in the Bay

We had a half day trip this afternoon to check out the new to Chris Sea Vee 25 center console. The boat just got a new tee top with an upper station for fish spotting. The new fly by wire controls need a little fine tuning, but the boat ran great and fished fine. As always, I have a tweak or two in mind to get my proper blend of organized disorganization. I love having a spot to stash stuff so I can get to it quick.

The Mackerel were the main story. Plenty of Spanish with the average size in the 2 to 3 pound range, though these are fatter fish than normal in my opinion. Mangroves were awfully finicky today for some reason. Lots of the usual Jacks and Bluefish with a few ladyfish. Still no sign of the black tip sharks in the near shore spots I tend to fish on shorter days. I am kinda Jonesing for a long bay run find the kings and cobia I am pretty sure are to the west a little further.

I did talk to another captain this morning that has a flats boat for some of my fly guys later in the season.

As a reminder, Porky's Bay Side does a great job of smoking your catch and they will swap smoked fish dip for the fresh fillets, when available for you guys in a hurry. They will not take whole fish though, make sure they are fillet and iced down right before taking them over.

There is still a good bit of sewer construction going on down at this end of town. So parking spaces are getting swapped around a bit from day to day. Most of this should be finished by Christmas.

I am starting to get pretty well booked up the last of December through the middle of February. I stuck the moon phase thingie on the left side of the blog. Remember that for snapper and dolphin, the days around the full moon can be pretty slow. The Mackerel don't care much about the moon though, so don't let that stop you for a Bay Side trip.

Marathon in the Florida Keys should be your next fishing vacation destination. Join us for charter fishing, fishing guide trips or our fishing 101 so you can fish on your own with better success.

Tight lines,

Capt. Dallas

No comments:

Post a Comment